RESOLVED - mnemonic can become empty string

dumphdinfo should not return mnemonic equal to empty string

possible to create empty wallet whose corresponding seed is used during restore after which dumphdinfo shows empty mnemonic

Operating system

• [ ] Mac OSX
  • [ ] Windows 10
  • [ ] Windows 8/8.1
  • [ ] Linux Ubuntu 16.04
  • [ ] Linux Ubuntu 18.04
  • [ ] Linux Debian
  • [X] Other UNIX/Linux distribution

Detailed reproduction steps

1.0) use a testing setup
1.1) stop the daemon
2.) delete wallet file
3.) start daemon. this creates a new wallet
4.) use CLI to run the dumphdinfo command. note the seed.
5.) stop daemon. delete wallet file.
6.) start the daemon with these params:
sudo ./divi-1.0.0/bin/divid -debug -hdseed=<<INSERT SEED NOTED IN STEP 4>> --reindex
7.) use CLI to run the dumphdinfo.
8.) note the seed is the same as what was seen in step 4
9.) PROBLEM(?): note the mnemonic field is an empty string

Is this AsDesigned or is this a bug?

(TheVoice) #2

Ive seen this too Ill bring it up

(Yurraolex) #3

It’s actually expected behavior, I will explain relation between seed and mnemonic.

Initially we generate a mnemonic, Hash(mnemonic) == seed. If we recover using mnemonic, we will naturally know the seed, but if we’ve recovered from seed, we can’t possibly know mnemonic, because hashing in one-way operation, there is no way to get “parent” mnemonic from it’s hash(seed).

(~ Node of the Realm ~) #4

@yuraolex I came across someone today in telegram that has this behaviour of no seed phrases, but they say they haven’t carried out a seed restore previously. Also dumphdinfo returns a phrase saying it isn’t an HD wallet.

Is this a similar issue or something new?

(TheVoice) #5

Thank you Im glad you explained I thought it was the other way around :slight_smile:

I was thinking the parent seed generated the mnemonic(which after thinking wouldn’t make sense) - woot LEARNED SOMETHING!

The Mnemonic is EVERTHING - though the seed is 99% of the original restoration…

(OriZ) #6

What happens if you completely remove and reinstall, after making a complete backup first of course, can you try that?

(OriZ) #7

Inactive, workaround provided