Recovering from power outage

(Baldy) #1

Expected behavior

If a power outage happens and the computer just turns off (common in puerto rico and many third world nations like the USA), the wallet does not recover. I expect to turn the computer back on, start divi and have it sync and then just be the great wallet it should be.

Actual behavior

Start wallet, asked if I want to exit or minimize. Exiting exits. Minimizing minimizes. So then I have to maximize. Then it just gets stuck at “loading wallet”

I have to remove all the app data, reinstall the divi wallet, wait for it to sync completely (this will only get longer!), then I have to recover from the mnemonic (never really got using the old wallet.dat to work) and then resync again. In a year syncing will take days…so this is a major issue.

Operating system

• [ x] Mac OSX
  • [ ] Windows 10
  • [ ] Windows 8/8.1
  • [ ] Linux Ubuntu 16.04
  • [ ] Linux Ubuntu 18.04
  • [ ] Linux Debian
  • [ ] Other UNIX/Linux distribution

Detailed reproduction steps

Pull the plug on a computer that is staking a wallet. The computer should not be a laptop.
try to start divi wallet again.

(Johnny401View) #2

Here’s the Windows solution, I don’t the exact path to divid on Mac OSX:

GUI is Stuck Syncing

If the wallet is stuck syncing you can force it to sync by following these steps:

Windows

Step 1: Locate the Divi Desktop Icon

Step 2: Right Click and select properties

Step 3: In target area locate “C:\Program Files\Divi Desktop\Divi Desktop.exe”

Step 4: add -resync to the end after the double quotes so it looks like this

"C:\Program Files\Divi Desktop\Divi Desktop.exe" -resync

Click Apply and Ok.

Step 5: Start your wallet

• It will resync all your folders anew
  • This will take some time
  • Once everything is running and synced, Stop wallet

Step 6: Locate the Divi Desktop Icon

Step 7: Right Click and select properties

Step 8: In target area locate “C:\Program Files\Divi Desktop\Divi Desktop.exe” -resync

Step 9: Remove the -resync to return it “C:\Program Files\Divi Desktop\Divi Desktop.exe”

(Baldy) #3

thanks. Yeah, I can get the wallet running. I’m just posting that the wallet as it stands, can not make it through a power outage. I can recover it.

Also I was wrong above. I save wallet.dat, master nodes.conf and the peers files. After re-install I put those back and was able to recover the wallet just fine. But before I could do that the clean wallet had to fully sync to the block chain, so the inconvenience (which grows every minute) is still there.

I had a similar issue on Mac, check out below forum topic. There are easy steps to resolve this.

(OriZ) #5

I think Baldy’s issue is that it happens to start with, but the devs are looking into ways to hopefully prevent it from corrupting as often.

(OriZ) #6

Duplicate, new thread here Wallet recovery need some serious attention